Human Resources Director
Job Title: Director of Human Resources
Reports To: VP of Operations
Schedule/Shift: 8am - 5pm Monday - Friday (On-Site) - must be available at times on weekends, evenings, and Holidays remotely and in person.
Salary: $130,000 +
Other Compensation: This position is bonus eligible after completion of one full calendar year which is determined by the Company in its sole discretion and based on certain Company and personal performance objectives
Monarch Casino Resort Spa has an exciting Director of Human Resources career opportunity. The current and operating casino property is under active expansion and soon will evolve into a full-scale luxury resort casino and spa. In addition to demonstrated success as a proven Human Resources Leader, the ideal candidate will have experience opening and staffing a new casino and/or leading a large team through substantial growth and change.
Monarch Casino Resort Spa Hawk is a wholly owned subsidiary of Monarch Casino & Resort, Inc. (NASDAQ: MCRI), a publicly traded corporation. Our company is recognized by Forbes on their "Most Trustworthy Companies" list. Under direction of the General Manager and the Corporate General Counsel, the Director of Human Resources is responsible for policies and programs covering employment, compensation, benefits, performance management, management training, team member relations, recruiting and retention, and compliance with all applicable federal, state and local laws.
The Director of Human Resources is expected to conduct himself/herself in a manner which demonstrates initiative, professionalism, personal awareness, integrity, and exercises confidentiality in the appropriate areas of his/her performance. The Director of Human Resources supports the Monarch Casino Resort Spa's vision, mission, values, and consistently performs all functions in a fashion that inspires and motivates others to actively pursue them. Specific responsibilities include:
- Plans, organizes, and controls all activities of the department. Develops department goals, objectives, and systems. Develops and administers company-wide human resources plans, policies and procedures.
- Evaluates reports, decisions and results of department in relation to established goals. Recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed.
- Implements and updates compensation program; job descriptions; salary surveys; analyzes compensation; oversees performance evaluation program.
- Maintains handbook on policies and procedures.
- Participates in management staff meetings and attends other meetings on and off property, such as training development opportunities.
- Prepares, recommends and maintains records and procedures for controlling human resource transactions and reporting personnel data. Accurately maintains human resources related files and records.
- Strategizes on and oversees recruiting efforts and selection procedures. Ensures that all selection processes follow state and federal regulations.
- Monitors internal transfer/promotion program.
- Responds to team member relation issues such as complaints, harassment allegations, and civil rights complaints. Performs investigations as appropriate under guidance of General Counsel and makes recommendations for corrective action.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and Gaming Control Board regulations concerning employment.
- Coordinates response to unemployment claims and participates in hearings and appeals.
- Responds to EEOC, department of labor and other administrative matters, in coordination with the General Counsel
- Prepares government reports related to compliance or other HR functions.
- Works directly with department managers to assist them in carrying out their responsibilities on human resources matters.
- Guides and advises supervisors and managers on effective and legal documentation of team member performance.
- Reviews all potential involuntary terminations of employment. Make recommendations to department managers to ensure sound termination decisions.
- Coordinates employee functions and recognitions such as holiday parties, and service awards.
- Coordinates and administers company benefits programs (medical, dental, vision and supplemental) in conjunction with the corporate Benefits Specialist. Strives to ensure team member understanding of benefit programs by regularly generating communication and counseling team members/dependents as situations arise.
- Coordinates with the corporate Benefits Specialist to oversee annual insurance open enrollment at the property level.
- Plans and recommends department budgets, manages expenditures, and reports on budget variances.
- Conducts exit interviews, analyzes data and makes recommendations to the management team for corrective action and continuous improvement.
- Develops and conducts management training sessions on Human Resource policy and procedures on an on-going basis.
- Develops and conducts training sessions for the workforce (i.e., new hire orientation, harassment prevention, and workplace violence, interviewing/selection, HR101).
- Oversees and supports the Wardrobe department.
- Performs other incidental and related duties as required and assigned.
TECHNICAL/PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE (Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience)
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, or a related field is required.
- 8 years of Casino Hospitality Resort experience is preferred
- 3+ years of experience as Head of Human Resources Human Resources Director (including significant generalist experience) with management responsibilities.
- Expert knowledge of the principles and practices of human resource administration
- Knowledge of sound techniques in all aspects of human resource management
- Knowledge of the organization and operation of administrative programs
- Ability to develop long-term plans and programs and to evaluate work accomplishments
- Ability to present facts and recommendations effectively in oral and written form
- Must be computer proficient, strong knowledge of MS Office products including Excel, and HRIS administration.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES:
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR) or Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification (or equivalent) strongly preferred.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with ethical integrity; Upholds organizational values; Maintains confidentialities.
- Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Inspires respect and trust; Accepts feedback from others; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates; Gives appropriate recognition to others; Displays passion and optimism; Mobilizes others to fulfill the vision.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Maintains reason and objectivity, even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Not only does Monarch offer a luxury experience for guests we offer luxury benefits to our Team Members as well!
Full Time Team Members (30+ hours) will enjoy the following benefits and perks:
- 2 Weeks PTO at your first-year anniversary of employment
- 6 Observed Holidays and Holiday Pay
- Health Benefit Insurance Package after 90 days includes: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short term disability, 401k with company match
- Relocation Reimbursement
Part Time and Full Time Team Members (TMs) will enjoy the following benefits and perks:
- 1 Free Hot Meal per shift and Unlimited Coffee, Tea, Soft Drinks
- Up to 48 hours of Sick Pay for Team Members Under 30 hrs per Week
- 80% Subsidized Bus Transportation Options
- Free Covered Parking
- Education/Tuition/Certification Reimbursement (up to $6,000 per calendar year)
- Wardrobe/Uniforms and Dry Cleaning Provided Free of Charge for most positions
- Career Development and Advancement Programs
- Team Member Anniversary Recognition (earn resort credit, vacation trips and more!)
- Team Member Hotel, Retail and Spa Discounts
Save your gas and mileage on your car! Check out these convenient casino bus routes at www.casinoshuttle.com or www.aceexpresscoaches.com. As a Team Member of Monarch, we subsidize your bus transportation up to 80%!
An Equal Opportunity Employer: Monarch Casino Resort Spa does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is Monarch’s intention that all qualified applicants are given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors.